Tuesday, January 29, 2013

2013 unwinds ...

Well .. Yesterday was New Year and today, January is nearly gone. Atleast thats what it feels like to me - this month has just gone whizzing by. And I sure do hope that the start i have had for 2013 is a sign of things to come for the rest of the year.

January has gone largely according to my training plan and i am quite happy to have found the wherewithal to follow through with it. I slowly ramped up mileage from my Dec resurrection for 3 weeks, followed by 1 cutback week before ramping it up again for 2 more weeks prior to my taper down over the next 3 weeks until race day. I have been running consistently, have been running different routes (although the Bishan PCN is like a default option), had fun running, experienced some very low lows and many enjoyable highs. With 2 days to go in the month, i have already covered 245kms and remained injury-free in doing so, thanks to my largely easy pace running. Speed is something that i have just not been able to train for much but once Tokyo is done, i will start to incorporate more speed workouts during the week as i train for Comrades on June 2nd.

Generally, i alternate my recovery runs with every other type of run i do - so that i dont continuously build stress in the body which may cause injuries later. Also, for my longer runs, i have diligently had either a whey protein drink or a recovery drink, both of which help get back to normal faster after a hard effort and which makes preparation for the next run that much easier. The only thing about whey protein is that it is keeping me away from my weight loss goals i had set for myself before the start of the new year (that is to be at a racing weight of 71kgs).

4 weekends from now, i will put my training to the test. The hope is that even if i have a bad day at the race, i can come under 4:15 and if i have a good day, come close to 4. We shall see what the future has in store ......

Just remembered ... on one of those rare occasions that i was running on a treadmill, last Monday, in a hotel in Osaka, i crossed 5000 kms in career mileage .. yippeee !!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment